Friday, July 18, 2008

Our 27th Anniversary

An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. Proverbs 31:10

27 years ago Nancy and I were married on this day. While I did love her, I did not truly know what a gift from God she was to me until I surrendered my life to Christ a few years later. We both came to faith in Jesus about the same time and since then we’ve also together traveled the sometimes hard but always joyous path of following God’s call to full time pastoral ministry. Nancy has not only been my best friend but also a great friend to many in the churches we’ve served. She has not only been a wife who is “far more precious than jewels” but also a priceless partner in faithfully serving the family of God in the places where He has called us.

We have grown together, struggled together, laughed together, cried together, raised children together, sacrificed together, been blessed together. I have always said that Nancy is the "rose among the thorns” of my life. She has poured more love and more grace into my life than I deserve. I am – and I still continue to be – truly blessed by who she is and what God is doing in her life.

I love you Nancy!



Here also is a post from our daughter Jennifer's blog reflecting on our 27th anniversary.

On My Parents' 27th Anniversary

27 Things That I Am Thankful For:

1. They both love Jesus.
2. They love each other.
3. They love me and my brothers.
4. They always made me clean my plate and drink my milk.
5. They spanked me and made me sit in the corner (quite often for my part...).
6. They got me a pony.
7. They paid for and drove me to piano lessons for seven years.
8. They tucked me in and prayed with me before bed.
9. They stepped out in faith several times over the years (including moving across the continent, to another country, and to a new church just this past December).
10. They are letting me take up space in their new house by storing boxes of my books and childhood memorabilia in their basement.
11. They obeyed God's call for them to enter into pastoral ministry.
12. They took us on a lot of family vacations.
13. They like to laugh.
14. They had us memorize Scripture as a family.
15. They never gave me false hopes by telling me I was good at something I wasn't.
16. They encouraged me in the things that I was good at.
17. They took the time, money, and effort to homeschool me for grades 3, 4, & 5.
18. They made it possible for me to spend most of my childhood growing up on a farm.
19. They have always made family time a priority.
20. They helped me save money by letting me live at home during college.
21. They had me start paying rent as soon as I graduated.
22. They came to all my track meets.
23. Even when they disagree about something I still always know that they love each other.
24. They enjoy being together.
25. They don't expect me to be perfect, but they do expect me to do my best for Jesus.
26. They both work hard.
27. They strive to glorify God in all that they do, and I know that they desire for me to do the same.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary Pastor Leland and Nancy. I've grown to love you both as my pastor and wife and I thank you for the awesome example you give living your marriage out with God as your glue. Hope springs eternal for me, when I see that God has given the gift of a marriage 'made in heaven' in you two. May God continue to richly bless you both and your family and your lives as our Shepherds at Arrowsmith.
    sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary Pastor Leland and Nancy. I've grown to love you both as my pastor and wife and I thank you for the awesome example you give living your marriage out with God as your glue. Hope springs eternal for me, when I see that God has given the gift of a marriage 'made in heaven' in you two. May God continue to richly bless you both and your family and your lives as our Shepherds at Arrowsmith.
    sue

    ReplyDelete