Thursday, September 4, 2008

What We Deserve

One the most common responses to suffering and struggle and tragedy in life tends to be: "I don't deserve this!" Here is a mailbag letter from the August 9/16, 2008 issue of World Magazine written by Melanie Burns of Becida, Minnesota who gives us a God-centered response from an example in her own life:

When I had cancer, well-meaning people told me, "You don't deserve this!" But according to the Bible, I did deserve it, and worse. If I had died at age 26 and left my two little girls without a mother, my life was still a picture of God's grace. Every time I had seen a baby smile, held my husband's hand, smelled a campfire, or even taken a breath, I experienced a precious gift from God. Seven healthy years and three babies later, my kids' drawings and my husband's loving glances still get me teary-eyed. Dirty diapers, uncorrected math papers, and piles of unwashed laundry are proof that I'm still alive and experiencing God's grace in another day.

Great is your mercy, O Lord; give me life according to your rules. (Psalm 119:156)

No comments:

Post a Comment