Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Spirit of God in Morning Devotions and Prayer

During my time with God this morning I saw a theme emerge throughout the varying verses in the Scriptures and prayersI was reading for devotions. I assume this happens to everyone at different times. When this happens to me, I always feel truly blessed that the Holy Spirit is intimately and directly speaking to my heart. To me this is proof that "the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12). Here are the words that jumped out at me:

Matthew 26

“You will all fall away because of me this night.”

“This very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.”

Peter said to him, “Even if I must die with you, I will not deny you!”

And he said to Peter . . . "The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Now Peter was sitting outside in the courtyard. And a servant girl came up to him and said, “You also were with Jesus the Galilean.” But he denied it before them all, saying, “I do not know what you mean.” And when he went out to the entrance, another servant girl saw him, and she said to the bystanders, “This man was with Jesus of Nazareth.” And again he denied it with an oath: “I do not know the man.” After a little while the bystanders came up and said to Peter, “Certainly you too are one of them, for your accent betrays you.” Then he began to invoke a curse on himself and to swear, “I do not know the man.” And immediately the rooster crowed. And Peter remembered the saying of Jesus, “Before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.” And he went out and wept bitterly.

Psalm 119

The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple.

Keep steady my steps according to your promise, and let no iniquity get dominion over me.

My eyes shed streams of tears.


Puritan prayer from The Valley of Vision

I have been greatly distressed of soul
because I did not suitably come to the fountain
that purges away all sin.

I have laboured too much for spiritual life,
peace of conscience, progressive holiness,
in my own strength.

Draw me back to thee with everlasting cords . . .

. . . that thou canst cause me to walk with him
by the rivers of waters in a straight way,
wherein I shall not stumble.

Numbers 14

Let the power of the Lord be great as you have promised, saying, “The Lord is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, forgiving iniquity and transgression.”

John 6

Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.”


John 11

“I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.”

No comments:

Post a Comment