Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Distraction of Computers

I have not posted for almost a week because I have been experiencing computer/software issues. Trying to resolve this has not only affected my blogging but also my ability to write and communicate – along with taking time away from my family and my devotional time with the Lord. Living in the age of computers is a mixed bag of both blessings and curses. Our modern technology allows us to do things we never could before – yet the same technology distracts us more than ever also.

As I worked through resolving my computer problems, I thought about how this was adversely affecting my spiritual walk with Christ – and I wished that instead I might be so “distracted” by resolving the problems in my relationship with Jesus that it would adversely affect the distraction I was feeling over this computer problem. The computer has become so essential to many of the things that we do in life that it can distract us from is truly essential.

In this season when we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior, we need to remember that Jesus was born into a world that was vastly different than ours today. There was no technology as we know it - no computers, iPods, cell phones, video cameras, televisions, airplanes, cars, movies, refrigerators, vacuum cleaners or light bulbs. Yet Hebrews 13:8 tell us: "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."

Yesterday my computer problem was solved. I am grateful that my problem with God was solved through Jesus Christ at Calvary.

No comments:

Post a Comment