Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Four things I learned over the past week

I realize that over the past week I have not been very diligent in posting on this blog. As a pastor there are seasons when all you can do is put your shoulder down and persevere through a wave of people, issues, projects, and responsibilities that is coming your way. In reflecting on what has happened over last weeks, I thought I would share with you the four things I have learned over that time.

1) I have learned that Joab, the commander of King David’s army, was a true biblical Calvinist. Joab clearly understood his part (responsibility and effort) and God’s part (outcome) in the battle of life. Overwhelmingly outnumbered and surrounded in battle on one side by the Ammonites, and on the other side the Syrians, he tells his brother Abishai: "If the Syrians are too strong for me, then you shall help me, but if the Ammonites are too strong for you, then I will come and help you. Be of good courage, and let us be courageous for our people, and for the cities of our God, and may the Lord do what seems good to him” (2 Samuel 10:11-12).

2) I have learned that for some reason it much harder for me to memorize the eighth chapter of Romans than it was to memorize both of the first two chapters of Ephesians together.

3) I have learned that there is a place of true beauty and deep rest between Isaiah 48:10 (“I have tried you in the furnace of affliction")and Romans 8:28 ("for those who love God all things work together for good") that cannot be explained outside of God’s sovereign grace.

4) I have learned that walking from the front door of my home to the front door of the church takes 1110 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment