Monday, March 2, 2009

The Slippery Walk of Life




















On Sundays I usually get to church between 6:30-7:00 AM to prepare myself for our morning worship service at Arrowsmith Baptist. Most of the time I walk to church and just leave the car at home, so Nancy and Micah can come later on. Last week I was making my way along the 0.9 kilometer walk in the fog and darkness - praying and singing and thinking about the activities of the morning – and I was just about to the door of the church when I suddenly hit a slippery patch of black ice and just about fell flat on my back. By the grace of God I kept my balance - and again found myself deeply grateful for His goodness.

Reflecting on that moment afterwards, two thoughts came to mind:

1) How in His sovereignty, God providentially and mercifully protects us.

"Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life" (Psalm 138:7).

2) How careful we must be in our walk with God in the darkness of our own sinful hearts, as we make our way through the fog of this fallen world.

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15-16)

". . . so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God." (Colossians 1:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment