Monday, April 6, 2009

Groaning and Hoping with Fallen Creation

Last Sunday part of my sermon dealt with how sin has affected not only humanity but also all of creation. This has been somewhat of a recurring theme for me of late - my commitment to memorize Romans 8 has brought this to light and as well as my devotional reading of Charles Spurgeon’s autobiography has reflected the same.

For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption . . . the whole creation has been groaning together . . . and not only the creation, but we ourselves . . . groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. (Romans 8:20-24)

I groan daily under a body of sin and corruption. Oh, for the time when I shall drop this flesh, and be free from sin! I become more and more convinced that, to attempt to be saved by a mixed covenant of works and faith is, in the words of Berridge, “To yoke a snail with an elephant.” I desire t press forward for direction to my Master in all things; but as to trusting to my own obedience and righteousness, I should be worse than a fool, and ten times worse than a madman. . . . (Spurgeon, Autobiography Vol. I - pg. 179)

Oh, could I become like holy men of past ages – fearless of men – holding sweet communion with God – weaned more from the world, and enabled to fix my thoughts on spiritual things entirely! But when I would serve God, I find my own deceitful heart full of the very essence of hell, rising up in my mouth, polluting all I say and all I do. . . . (Spurgeon, Autobiography Vol. I - pg. 180)

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? . . . No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:31-32, 37-39)

Rejoice! For Heaven awaits us, and all the Lord’s family! The mansion is ready; the crown is made; the harp is strung; there are no willows there. May we be enabled to go on, brave as lions, and valiant for truth and cause of King Jesus, and by the help of the Spirit, vow eternal warfare with every sin, and rest not until the sword of the Spirit has destroyed all the enemies in our hearts! May we be enabled to trust the Lord, for He will help us; we must conquer; we cannot be lost. Lost? Impossible! For who is able to snatch us out of our Fathers hand? (Spurgeon, Autobiograpy Vol. I - pg. 180)

No comments:

Post a Comment