Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Which is more difficult: Removing a tree stump or doing your taxes?



















On Monday I finally put my U.S income tax forms in the mail, so I can now work through my income taxes for Canada. This has been a much longer and more tedious process for me than normal, as this is my first full year working in Canada as an American citizen. The real difficulty in all of this is that my tax status as clergy is defined much differently in the U.S. than it is in Canada, and there seems to be a variety of opinions as to what that looks like the tax forms of each country. And so after hours of asking questions, reading tax guides, and checking income tax websites – I finally was able to get what needed from another pastor who is also an American citizen, and who has lived in B.C. for quite some time.

And so as I walked out of the house on Monday to mail my U.S. tax forms, I glanced at the spot in my front yard where I had removed a stump with an axe and a shovel the week before – which caused me to wonder: “Which was more difficult: Removing the tree stump or doing my taxes?” At that very moment I said: “Doing my taxes.” Time will ultimately tell; there are still about five more stumps in our yard that need to go - and I also still need to file my income taxes in Canada. And so in these days I join with the apostle Paul in asking that I might "be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy" (Colossians 1:11).

No comments:

Post a Comment