Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Choosing the Way of Littleness

I am currently reading through The Rest of God by Mark Buchanan – and continue to be blessed by his insight regarding what it means to "rest in God." Here is a quote that spoke to my heart last night:

I used to think the spiritual life was mostly about finding and using our gifts for God’s glory – my utmost for his highest. More and more, I think it is not this, not first, not most. At root, the spiritual life consists in choosing the way of littleness. I become less that that Jesus might become greater. Its essence is No – not to ourselves, our impulses and cravings, our acts of self-promotion and self-vindication, our use of power for its own sake. It calls us to deny ourselves possessions, rights, conquests that we’re tempted to claim just because we can. It is growing, day by day, into the same attitude that Christ had, and by exactly the same means; emptying ourselves, giving ourselves. It is refusing to grasp what we think is owed us and instead embracing what we think is beneath us. (page 101)
"He must increase, but I must decrease." (John 3:30)

No comments:

Post a Comment