Friday, July 17, 2009

The “Theology” of Calvin and Hobbes


















I recently read a blog posting by Tim Challies regarding his love for Calvin and Hobbes. Bill Watterson, who wrote and drew the cartoon strip, truly seems to find treasure everywhere in life to write about. This is where Challies connects with Watterson spiritually - and this is where I truly connected with them both also. Our family loves reading Calvin and Hobbes not only because it just really funny – but also because it addresses a wide variety of issues and is at the same time deeply insightful. This is true for all of us who have given our hearts to Christ in that having “the eyes of our hearts enlightened” we can clearly see evidence of God everywhere: "His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made (Romans 1:20).

Here is a quote from Tim Challies’ blog post – to read the whole post Click Here.

The more I have thought about different topics, the more I’ve realized that there is theology everywhere. And this is what motivates me to write; it’s what motivates me to read and to think and to explore. Everywhere I turn I see theology, whether in a book about the atoning work of Jesus Christ or in a book about the future of business or in a biography of a man who lives half a world away. Sometimes the theology is lying on the surface, exposed and easy to see. Sometimes it is hidden within and just needs to be coaxed out. But always there is something to think about, something to wrestle with, something to help me think deeply about how Christians are to live in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment