Sunday, November 15, 2009

Abide in Christ: God Himself Has United You to Him - Andrew Murray

Because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption. (1 Corinthians 1:30)

"My Father is the vinedresser.” (John 15:1)

The whole Christian life depends on the clear consciousness of our position in Christ. . . .

“Because of him you are in Christ Jesus.” He would have us not only remember our union to Christ, but specially that it is not our own doing, but the work of God Himself. . . . If it is of God alone that I am in Christ, then God Himself, the Infinite One, becomes my security for all I can need or wish in seeking to abide in Christ. . . .

It is of great consequence that the mind should be led to see that at the back of our turning, and believing, and accepting of Christ, there was God’s almighty power doing its work – inspiring our will, taking possession of us, and carrying out its own purpose of love in planting us into Christ Jesus. . . .

The God who has chosen me and planted me in Christ, has thereby engaged to secure, if I will be let Him, by yielding myself to Him, that I in every way be worthy of Christ Jesus. . . .

Oh my soul! Yield yourself to the mighty influence of this word: “Because of him you are in Christ Jesus.” It is the same god of Whom Christ is made all that He is for us, of Whom we also are in Christ, and will most surely be made what we must be to Him. . . .

From eternity Christ and I were ordained for each other; inseparably we belong to each other: it is God’s will; I shall abide in Christ. It is of God I am in Christ Jesus.

from "Abide in Christ: Thoughts on the Blessed Life of Fellowship with the Son of God" by Andrew Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment