Thursday, November 12, 2009

Abide in Christ: Trusting Him to Keep You – Andrew Murray

I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. (Philippians 3:12)

Is it possible, a life of unbroken fellowship with the Saviour? . . .

Abiding in Him is not a work that we have to do as the condition for enjoying His salvation, but a consenting to let Him do all for us, and in us, and through us. It is a work He does for us – the fruit and the power of His redeeming love. Our part is simply to yield, to trust, and to wait for what He has engaged to perform. . . .

The grace to come and the grace to abide are like from Him alone. The word Come, heard, meditated on, accepted, was the cord of love that drew you nigh; that word Abide is even so the band with which He holds you fast and binds you to Himself. . . .

Keep you gaze fixed on Himself, holding you and waiting to lift you up, O say, could you not this very day take the upward step, and rise to enter upon this blessed life of abiding in Christ? . . .

O yield yourself this very day to the blessed Saviour in the surrender of the one thing He asks of you; give up yourself to abide in Him. He Himself will work it in you. You can trust Him to keep you trusting and abiding. . . .

“It is because Jesus has taken hold of me, and because Jesus keeps me, that I dare say: Saviour, I abide in Thee.”
from "Abide in Christ: Thoughts on the Blessed Life of Fellowship with the Son of God" by Andrew Murray

3 comments:

  1. LeAnna (Sandy's daughter)November 12, 2009 at 10:11 AM

    Not that you could've posted this with me in mind, but I needed me to see this right now. So thank you, or perhaps more apt, thank God for directing me here at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeling the way I do right now, reading this and seeing the answer before my eyes...why can't I just let Him in? Why must I continue to push Him away. Maybe the mistrust I feel in myself I allow to overwhelm what He has to offer. It even sounds confusing, though it be true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Anonymous -

    It is true - but difficult because even in Christ our sinful nature continues to battle against full surrender to God. It is why we will not "let Him in."

    I am posting these quotes from Andrew Murray because we all struggle with this - and Murray gives me joyful hope in the midst of my own struggle in "abiding" in Jesus.

    ReplyDelete