Thursday, February 11, 2010

God's Gracious Sovereignty in Our Desperation

"I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5)

Not long ago someone came into my office and shared how the first three verses of the 23rd Psalm reveal how desperate in our human depravity we are for God's gracious intervention in our lives. His statement brought to mind a quote from Paul Miller in his book A Praying Life:

"Learned desperation is at the heart of a praying life." (pg 114)
Psalm 23:1-3

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me besides still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment