Friday, March 12, 2010

Christians flee after Nigeria's massacre

"You will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." (Mark 13:13)

Tuesday March 9, 2010
JOS, Nigeria (AFP) – Christian villagers in Nigeria fled their homes fearing new attacks Tuesday even as a senior official accused the country's military chiefs of ignoring warnings about last weekend's massacre.

Jonah Jang, governor of central Plateau state, said the carnage that claimed hundreds of lives of mainly Christian villagers could have been avoided had there not been security lapses.

Jang told reporters he alerted the Nigeria's army commander about reports of movement around the area and was told troops would be heading there.

But while he saw a military tank rumble by his home, located a few kilometres (miles) away from one of the affected villages, "three hours or so later, I was woken by a call that they (armed gangs) have started burning the village and people were being hacked to death.

"I tried to locate the commanders, (but) I couldn?t get any of them on the telephone," Jang told journalists in the capital Abuja.

Near the central city of Jos, mass burials were held for some of the hundreds of victims of a three-hour orgy of violence, while survivors nursed wounds in hospitals.

Troops patrolled the three villages where members of the mainly Muslim Fulani ethnic group embarked on their killing spree. But residents of neighbouring villages said they had already received new threats. . . .

Officials said more than 500 people from the mainly Christian Berom ethnic group were hacked to death with machetes, axes and daggers in three villages of Dogo Nahawa, Ratsat and Zot on Sunday morning.

To read the whole article, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment